Date(s) - Mar 21, 2019 - Mar 22, 2019
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Los Niños Services Corporate Office
Haven Bernstein, PhD, BCBA-D (ABA Clinical Supervisor, Los Ninos Services) &
Marilena Drakopoulou, MSEd (ABA Director, Los Ninos Services)
This interactive and intensive workshop will provide essential ABA skills for beginner special education professionals. In this 2 day bootcamp, you will learn how to use ABA principles and practice techniques to overcome common obstacles in teaching young children with Autism and other developmental delays/disorders. This workshop is a practical introduction to the theory and practice of ABA and how it applies to younger learners. You will learn how to develop a positive working relationship in which young children will be engaged in learning and parents will appreciate how much their child is learning. You will also learn procedures to help young learners acquire new skills and reduce or eliminate undesirable behaviors. These master clinicians will show you how to alter teaching environments to increase the child’s motivation, and how to use reinforcement to make learning enjoyable and successful. Video and case vignettes will illustrate principles and attendees will be able to discuss and brainstorm some of the challenges they face in their work with younger children with Autism and other developmental delays/disorders.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: By the end of this workshop participants will be able to…
- Describe the concept of Applied Behavior Analysis as a way to view learning.
- Explain how to determine a child’s preferences and use those preferences to motivate learning.
- Describe the concepts of contingency, reinforcement, errorless teaching, and other behavior analytic principles.
- List do’s and don’ts for teaching situations.
- Troubleshoot difficult situations.
- 8:30 AM – 10:45 AM – Presenter introduction, get to know audience, presentation outline, introduction to ABA
- 10:45 AM – 11:00 AM – Break
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM – Introduction to terminology and basic principles of ABA, setting up the environment for success, Verbal behavior, reinforcement/punishment activity
- 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
- 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM – Good teaching practices, antecedent prevention techniques, what to teach
- 3:30 PM – 3:45 PM – Break
- 3:45 PM – 4:30 PM – Data collection, videos, summary and discussion
- 8:30 AM – 10:45 AM – Recap of day 1, discussion of problem behaviors, why antecedent prevention techniques won’t always work, extinction
- 10:45 AM – 11:00 AM – Break
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM – Functions of behavior, ABC data collection, Functional communication training and replacement behaviors
- 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
- 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM – Description of behavior functions and intervention strategies for each, specific intervention techniques, combining antecedent and consequence strategies
- 3:30 PM – 3:45 PM – Break
- 3:45 PM – 4:30 PM – ABC data exercise, summary and discussion
- Special Education Professionals
- ABA Therapists
- Special Education Teachers
- School Psychologists
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists and Physical Therapy Assistants
- BCaBAs wishing an introductory overview of ABA
In order to receive continuing education credit for attending this workshop participants must:
- Attend the session for the full scheduled time
- Must sign the attendance form at the beginning and the end of the session
- Must complete the session and overall conference evaluation form.
Note: Partial credit is not awarded.
CERTIFICATES OF ATTENDANCE will be provided for at the end of the workshop
- Earn 12.0 CTLE (NYSED) hours upon completing this workshop
- 12.0 NASP CPD credits offered.
- This BEGINNER level session is offered for 12.0 ASWB continuing education clock hours.
- This workshop is approved for NYSED SW CPE 12.0 contact hours.
- 12.0 NYSED OT Continuing Competency Hours offered.
Association of Social Work Boards Approved Continuing Education
This organization (Los Niños Training, LLC and ACE Approval #1366) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. Los Ninos Training, LLC maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 3/30/16 – 3/30/19. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits.
ASWB Approval Period: 3/30/16-3/30/19
New York State Board for Social Work Continuing Competency Hours
Los Niños Training, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0365.
NYSED Board of SW Approval Period: 6/6/16-8/31/19
New York State Board for Occupational Therapy Continuing Competency Hours
Los Niños Training is an approved Continuing Education Provider by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Los Niños Training, LLC maintains responsibility for the program. Occupational therapist professionals should contact their regulatory board to confirm course approval for continuing education credits.
NYSED Approval Period: 4/1/18- 4/30/21
New York State Education Department’s Office of Teaching Initiatives
Los Niños Training, LLC (Sponsor #3394) is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s Office of Teaching Initiatives as an approved sponsor of CTLE for Professional Classroom Teachers, School Leaders and Level III Teaching Assistants.
NYSED CTLE Approval Period: 03/29/17-03/29/22
Haven Bernstein, PhD, BCBA-D earned a Ph.D. from the Learning Processes and Behavior Analysis subprogram in Psychology at the Graduate Center, City University of New York. He has a Master’s Degree in Experimental Psychology from Brooklyn College. He is a New York State Certified Special Education Teacher and a Doctorate level Board Certified Behavior Analyst. He has been working with children diagnosed with autism utilizing methods of Applied Behavior Analysis for over 15 years. For the past 10 years he has been an Early Intervention ABA coordinator and service provider in the state of New York, designing and implementing ABA curriculum for children under the age of 3 and training and supervising others. He also has experience utilizing methods of Applied Behavior Analysis to teach children up to the age of ten. Areas of expertise include teaching language through the use of Verbal Behavior methodology, functional assessments of problem behavior, design and implementation of behavior intervention plans, and treatment of feeding problems. Haven has co-authored a chapter on functional assessments an published doctoral research in two journals. Research topics include analyses of choice making, schedules of reinforcement, play skills, language skills, and social skills in young children diagnosed with autism. Research has been presented at the Association for Behavior Analysis International Convention and at the Queens College Behavior Analysis and Developmental Disabilities Conference.
Marilena Drakopoulou, MSEd has been working in the field of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) since 1996. Since that time having held a variety of positions until moving to Los Ninos in 2010 as the ABA Clinical Supervisor and later as Director of ABA services. She has worked with children ages 1-21 throughout all five boroughs of New York City from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Marilena received her master’s degree in Special Education from Long Island University (C.W. Post). She later went on to complete required course work for her BCBA at Hunter College. Marilena has presented on the topic of ABA for several local conferences and is a member of multiple professional organizations that are devoted to the advancement of Applied Behavior Analysis.
ATTENDEE CANCELLATION POLICY & REFUND REQUEST
A full refund will be given if Los Niños Training is notified in writing by Thursday, February 21, 2019, less an administrative fee of $15. No refunds will be extended after Thursday, February 21, 2019.
WORKSHOP CANCELLATION by LOS NINOS TRAINING
Los Niños Training, LLC reserves the right to cancel the workshop due to natural disaster, inclement weather, low attendee registration or other circumstances which would make the event non-viable. If Los Niños Training, LLC cancels the workshop, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of the workshop, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date or another event that is being offered.
Additional questions or concerns? Please contact our team via telephone at (212) 787-9700 ext. 333 or via email at email@example.com.
Seating is general admission on a first come first serve basis.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS OR REQUESTS
Individuals with disabilities in need of special accommodations should contact the our office at (212) 787-9700 ext. 333 to make a request. Our staff will work directly with the venue to provide the necessary accommodations. Requests for special accommodations must be made at least a month prior to the conference (by Thursday, February 21, 2019). Once accommodations are found, the we will confirm need for accommodations. Once the individual confirms, the special accommodations will be secured. If the individual finds that he or she is no longer in need of the accommodations, he or she must contact the our team by Thursday, February 21, 2019.
Submit any complaints via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to Los Niños Training LLC, 535 8th Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10018. If you have any additional questions or concerns, contact us at (212) 787-9700 ext. 333 or at email@example.com.
WORKSHOP REGISTRATION FEES:
Professional Regular Rate – $275 per person
Early Bird Professional Rate (30% Discount: Until 2/22/2019) – $195 per person
Group Registration (3 – 10 people) – $175 per person
Group Registration (11 – 25 people) – $165 per person
Group Registration (26+ people) – $155 per person
Student Rate – (55% Discount) $125 per person – Please call us for more details at 212-787-9700 x333.
Acceptable forms of payment include PayPal, credit card, debit card, check and purchase order.
If paying by check or purchase, please make payable to: Los Niños Training
Mail checks and purchase orders to Los Niños Training, 535 8th Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10018.